21 October 2012

Introducing Three Bears...

Hello ether...
 
... this is a blog about my culinary adventures in a small Melbourne kitchen, it's all about looking at a dish or ingredient three ways. If everything goes according to plan (so, wishful thinking on my part) I hope to post three recipes a week either exploring different versions of the same dish, or different recipes with the same key ingredient.

I have always enjoyed cooking, eating and everything that surrounds it - cookbooks, recipes, cookware, menus, ordering food, the list goes on. I especially love playing with recipes until I make them my own, something I learnt from a young age cooking with my mum. Standing on a small yellow chair to see what she was making - or more regularly sitting on the lino floor, stirring a big bowl of cake mix, licking spatulas, bowls (and drips off the floor).

Me (left) and my big sister baking cakes in our farm kitchen
My mum has the wonderful habit of writing in cookbooks - amendments to the ingredients, notes on who was over when the recipe was tried or what it was served with, but most importantly she writes: **WONDERFUL!** or **TERRIBLE!!! use recipe on page 44 of xxx instead!**. I love all of her hand written recipe cards covered in years of flour and butter - you know it's a good recipe if the card is covered in smudges. 
 
The idea for this blog came late last year after I self published a cookbook of our family recipes along with childhood stories growing up on a farm in Western Australia - it was such a wonderful, challenging experience that I wanted to do something more with it... then I came across three completely different coconut macaroon recipes in our family cookbook collection which each had asterix's and 'wonderful' next to them, so the idea of 'Three bears' took shape - all of those recipes are  tried, tested and deemed just right, all are called coconut macaroons but all are different...
 
... so here we go!